Front-end focused web application & data visualization engineer. Test-driven, CI approved.
😎 highest proficiency
The vast majority of my work and side project time employs these skills.
- single-page apps with the latest tools & frameworks (React, React Router, Redux)
- interactive data visualization with D3 and/or React, rendering in SVG
- UI and data visualization animation with CSS3, D3 transitions, various React animation libraries, and/or GreenSock
- unit testing (Jest or Mocha + Chai; set up with Karma and either Travis CI or Circle CI)
- real-time apps on a BaaS (e.g., Firebase)
- interactive Node.js CLI tools using Inquirer.js
HTML5 & CSS3:
- compliance with web standards and WCAG 2.0 for accessibility
- experience with major CSS preprocessors (Less, Sass, PostCSS)
- modularity and componentization with CSS modules, styled components 💅, or emotion
- version control with git & GitHub
- managing internal and external dependencies with npm
- building project pages & documentation on GitHub Pages with jekyll and/or GitBook
🙃 other areas of experience
Skills I practice only occasionally or practiced in the past.
- server-rendered React apps with Next.js
- Canvas-rendered interactive data visualization with D3 and/or React
- WebGL-rendered interactive data visualization with D3 and/or React via three.js
- end-to-end testing with Nightwatch.js
- statistical data analysis
- data visualization with ggplot2
🤔 (as of yet undeveloped) interests
Things on my never-ending TODO list!
- native iOS and Android application development with React Native
- native iOS application development with Swift
- learn a functional language (most likely elm or Clojure and/or ClojureScript)
- learn to use ReactiveX, most likely RxJS
⚛️ AA React at Stitch Fix
Designed and led development of a library of React components for internal use within Stitch Fix’s Algorithms & Analytics department (“AA”). The components handle data fetching and storage from and to AA’s shared data warehouse and other internal services.
👩🎤 rappstar and other CLI tools at Stitch Fix
Designed and led development of a wizard-style CLI wrapper around create-react-app (CRA) to facilitate quick and beginner-friendly app development by data scientists. The tool customizes the output of CRA to include internal dependencies and configuration. Other CLI tools include a script for building a CRA app and pushing the result to an S3 bucket set up for static web hosting.
📊 Data Visualization at Tidepool
Led initial development of Tidepool’s data visualization libraries tideline and @tidepool/viz. Both libraries employ React and D3 to implement UI components for interactive data visualizations in Tidepool’s main web application blip as well as utilities for data (pre-)processing and on-the-fly calculation of a variety of statistical measures.
🚀 Redux Migrations at Tidepool
🕰 “Bootstrapping” to UTC at Tidepool
Designed and implemented (in the Tidepool uploader) an algorithm—dubbed “bootstrapping to UTC”—for inferring the UTC timestamp from device-relative display timestamps on diabetes devices. For more information, refer to the technical documentation or the less technical blog post explaining the feature.
🚎 Apps for Philly Transit Hackathon
Member of the winning team at the 2013 Apps for Philly Transit Hackathon. Our project ‘PHL+ to Work’ (code on GitHub) provides a visual interface (built with D3 and Leaflet) for searching American Community Survey data connecting locations (specifically census tracts) where residents of the greater Philadelphia area live to the locations where those residents commute to work.
🌳 Annotald at the University of Pennsylvania
Contributed to Annotald, a WebKit browser-based GUI annotation tool for constructing large corpora of syntactically annotated sentences in the Penn Treebank format used by researchers in the University of Pennsylvania’s linguistics department as well as at the University of Iceland, Newcastle University, and the University of York. My contributions included a refactoring of the CSS to allow users to define a customized color theme as well as helping to design and implement the limited display mode.
|2017–present||Data Visualization Engineer, Stitch Fix Algorithms|
|San Francisco, CA|
|2013–2017||Software Engineer, Tidepool Project|
|San Francisco, CA|
|2010–2011||Teaching Assistant, Linguistics Department, University of Pennsylvania|
|2008||Development Assistant, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education|
|2007–2008||Collection Development Assistant, Van Pelt Library, University of Pennsylvania|
|2006||E-Tutor, Computer Science Department, New York University|
|New York, NY|
|2005–2007||Sales Associate, The Scholastic Store|
|New York, NY|
|2004–2005||Book Review Intern, Library Journal|
|New York, NY|
- M.A. in Linguistics. School of Arts & Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, 2013.
- B.A. in Individualized Study, summa cum laude. Gallatin School, New York University, 2007.